Seven Travel Well Appetizers – The holidays are quickly approaching, and thoughts are turning to spending time with friends and family – gathering around the table, sharing a meal, or having a glass of wine. But I know you stress about what to bring, especially if you’re traveling. You’re going to want something that not only tastes good and looks great, but is easy to make and can hold up in the car as you drive to grandma’s or over to the aunts. With that in mind I thought of you as I put together this list of 7 Travel Well Appetizers. Who needs the hassle of having to do lots of cooking and schlepping of ingredients if you’re driving half way across the state to go eat with the family?
Please note, not all of these are my personal recipes. Some I’ve gleaned from around my world, so happy cooking and have a lovely time with your family where you end up.
Seven Travel Well Appetizers
- Mini Quiche Choose your favorite flavor and make it bite size (or two bite size as we do for work) – think the same size as a mini muffin.
- Small Fruit & Cheese Kabobs There are some amazing red grapes in the stores right now, and I’ve been crushing hard over Daiya’s Vegan Smoked Gouda.
- Cantaloupe Wrapped in Prosciutto Can we say EASY, just slice and wrap, slice and wrap… Need I say more? If you want to dress this up a little drizzle with spiced honey.
- Cheese Logs I use dairy free/vegan cream cheese these days. Take it out of the container and place it on wax paper. Shape into a log and place in the freezer to set. After a few minutes, when it’s firm-ish to the touch roll the firmed up vegan cream cheese in fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, chives). Keep refrigerated until just before serving. Plate up with your favorite crackers or sliced vegetables.
- Sweet Fig Crostini Slice a baguette, brush pieces with melted non-dairy margarine, and place them under the broiler until golden. Spread vegan ricotta over the toasted bread, drizzle with wildflower or orange-blossom honey, top with a slice of ripe fig or fresh peach, nectarine, or plum, then serve.
- Cranberry Spread One 16 oz. vegan cream cheese package – softened, 1 cup dried cranberries, 1/4 c. orange juice. Mix all of the ingredients together and mold into a ball or leave loose as a spread. Wrap in plastic wrap, then wrap in foil, and store in a freezer bag. To Use: Let the spread thaw in the refrigerator 1-2 days before needed. Place dip in a bowl (or on a platter if it has been molded into a ball) and serve with crackers.
- Bacon & Ranch Cheese Ball One 16 ounces dairy free/vegan cream cheese – softened, 1 package of Ranch dressing mix (I use the organic brand as it has no MSG or added dairy products), 1 cup shredded non-dairy cheddar cheese, 5-7 strips of bacon cooked and crumbled (or buy prepackaged crumbled bacon). Mix all the ingredients together with a mixer until they are incorporated. Mold into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap, then wrap in foil, and store in a freezer bag. To Use: Let the cheese ball thaw in the refrigerator 1-2 days before serving. Roll in a plate of shredded non-dairy/vegan cheese. Serve with assorted crackers.