I couldn’t believe just how simple and good this recipe for turkey chili with chickpeas was.
The recipe said to use cocoa powder, this is something I’ve never used in savory dishes before – but always have wanted to (yes, I have seen Chocolate quite a bit and NOT just because I love Johnny Depp). The flavor was unbelievable. I think I’m always going to add cocoa powder to chili from here on out.
This is so good I recommend making a double batch. Use half for that week, and freeze the other half for a quick school night meal.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.
4 tsp. olive oil
1 red bell pepper, seeded & chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded & chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 lb. ground turkey
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 tsp cayenne
3 (14.5 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
14.5 ounce can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
Heat oil in Dutch oven
Sauté peppers and onion until softened
Add turkey meat and cook until no longer pink and cooked through
Add cumin, cocoa powder and cayenne – stir in completely
Add tomatoes, vinegar and chickpeas – bring to a boil
Reduce to simmer cook 35-45 minutes, stirring frequently
Serve hot with your favorite corn bread
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper seeded & chopped
- 1 green bell pepper seeded & chopped
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 3 14.5 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 14.5 ounce can chickpeas drained & rinsed
- Heat oil in Dutch oven
- Sauté peppers and onion until softened
- Add turkey meat and cook until no longer pink and cooked through
- Add cumin, cocoa powder and cayenne - stir in completely
- Add tomatoes, vinegar and chickpeas - bring to a boil
- Reduce to simmer cook 35-45 minutes, stirring frequently
- Serve hot with your favorite corn bread
Would you like a FREE COPY of my weekly menu planner? Be sure to sign up for my newsletter HERE to get copies of both.
Have you purchased a copy of Quick Bites yet? There are links in my SHOP to purchase the ebook from Amazon or the print-on-demand copy from Blurb. It makes a great gift and is full of recipes you’ll want to put in regular rotation.