Forgive me for being obsessed with making lists that go to eleven. But here is my list of Eleven Cooking Tips. If you’ve seen This is Spinal Tap you know why – and if you haven’t seen it, what are you waiting for?
I knew you’d appreciate a handy dandy list of cooking tips & tricks from your favorite blog sloCooking now that the holidays are that much closer to arriving.
If you like these, be sure to tune in for my TIPS TUESDAY segment. You never know what you’ll find – I cover it all from safety, to general kitchen tips, to recipe hacks, to quick and easy recipes. What I cover just depends on the mood I’m in, so be sure to tune in.
Like what you’re reading? Be sure to share with your friends and family. I love getting new readers. Until next time.
Eleven Cooking Tips
- Never sear meat in a non-stick pan: It won’t brown nicely – you may end up with splotchy, grey meat.
- When cooking crock pot meat, sear first. Use meat with the highest fat marbling to prevent greyness.
- Wash your fruit and veggies before peeling – not after. (Too much risk of contaminating the knife, if you wash after.)
- Rub your steak or roast with fresh cut garlic before cooking. Stick slivers of fresh garlic deep into your meat for incredible flavor
- Be prepared! Always keep your pan lid handy for dowsing fat fires – they do happen! (Put lid onto pot to smother flames.)
- Never over mix muffins and quick breads. Fold dough with large spoon until flour is barely mixed and dough is lumpy.
- Don’t just bring your butter to room temperature when preparing to bake: Do it to the eggs you’re planning to use also.
- Learn “base” recipes and then experiment by adding different seasonings or ingredients – basic sauces, muffins, cakes and bread.
- There is no right or wrong cheese for a pizza. Go with what you like and what you have on hand.
- Run out of baking powder? Combine 3/4 of a teaspoon of baking soda with 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
- Save leftover sauce in ice cube trays. When frozen, add to bag of same type of sauce cubes. Reheat and use for quick dishes.